The Edmonton Rain Barrel Project
- Presentation: Irrigation in Southern Alberta: Status, Costs, and Benefits
This presentation was given by John Thompson at an event titled Global and Local Perspectives on Irrigation and Water Conservation in Edmonton on June 19th, 2003. The event was organized by the
Sombrilla Refugee Society. John is the Director of Board Reviews for the Natural Resources Conservation Board.
- A Press Release by the California Energy Commission stated that 8 barrels of water were used for every barrel of oil produced. [California Government Department of Energy Press Release]
- Syncrude, in Ft. McMurray, used 21 million cubic metres of water during 2001. [Pembina Institute Document]
- The Cold Lake Oil Extraction Facility (Imperial Oil) uses about 400,000 barrels of steam per day to produce about 130,000 barrels of oil per day.University of Alberta Society of Petroleum Engineers (No longer active link)]
- It takes 5 to 40 gallons of water to produce every gallon of beer. [Brewery Field Trip]
- Water Consumption varies greatly throughout the world. Here are a few places in the developed world to compare to ourselves.
|Location||Average Residential Water Consumption
per Person per Day in Litres